Meeting the standard for tourism, hospitality and events is a two-part process which involves external peer-review of assessment and calibration of academic standards. Meeting the Standard builds on the work of:
- Setting the Standard: Establishing Threshold Learning Outcomes (TLOs) for Tourism, Hospitality and Events Higher Education, which produced a set of nationally agreed upon and clearly articulated TLOs for tourism, hospitality and events higher education coursework programs at Australian Qualification Framework bachelor (level 7) and coursework masters (level 9)
- External Referencing of Standards (ERoS)
- Achievement matters: external peer review of accounting learning standards
Assessment Design workshop
The first Assessment Design Workshop 1 will be held from 9:00-5:00pm on Monday 11 February 2019, in conjunction with the 2019 Annual CAUTHE conference in Cairns. In preparation for this workshop peers will develop and present a ‘fit for purpose’, exemplary assessment to cover each of the five DOMAINS (Service and Experience Design, Interdisciplinary Inquiry, Collaboration, Problem Solving and Professional Responsibility) in each of the three FIELDS of study (tourism, hospitality or events) – a total of 15 assessment items.
At the workshop:
- Each triad will present their work to the larger group which will develop principles around best practice assessments for DOMAINS.
- The five domain participant volunteers from each of the three FIELDs, plus additional participants in attendance, will work together with the aim to develop principles around best practice assessments for domains and an ideal assessment for a FIELD.
Please contact the CAUTHE Secretariat if you are interested in attending this workshop.
Peer review of assessment
Peers who are acknowledged discipline experts, review and report on the assessment methods and grading of students’ achievement of learning outcomes with reference to the tourism, hospitality and events (TH&E) Learning and Teaching Academic Standards. This collaborative process provides evidence that assessments and grading standards are appropriate and broadly comparable with those assessment practices occurring in other similar programs elsewhere. Participants from interested Chapter member institutions are invited to participate in this process annually.
For past project information see:
- 2018 Peer-Review of Assessment Phase 2 – project plan
- 2017 Peer-Review of Assessment Pilot project – report
- Detailed assessment examples of how educators can document students’ mastery of the agreed upon TLOs through various curriculum, pedagogy and assessment practices.
Please contact the CAUTHE Secretariat if you are interested in being involved in future peer-review of assessment activities.
Calibration of Academic Standards
Calibration of Academic Standards (CAS) is a multistage intervention in which external peer reviewers examine an assessment task and samples of student work against one or more of the threshold learning standard domains before, during and after a calibration workshop. CAUTHE offers Chapter member institutions participation in CAS workshops which are timed with the annual Conference and Mid-year meetings. The workshops aim to:
- Reach a shared understanding of what it means to meet the minimum standard in a chosen domain
- Generate a shared understanding about assessments and outcome standards in comparable units being taught in different institutions
The body of material collected from calibration workshops will form the basis of the review of the 2015 TH&E Learning and Teaching Academic Standards after five years. For more see:
The project team is comprised of invited participants from CAUTHE Chapter member institutions, many of whom were involved with the original Setting the Standard project.
- Assoc Prof Pierre Benckendorff (The University of Queensland)
- Dr Paul Whitelaw (William Angliss Institute)
- Penny Jose (CAUTHE Secretariat)
For more information or if you are interested in participating in Meeting the Standard for tourism, hospitality and events contact the CAUTHE Secretariat.