Meeting the standard for tourism, hospitality and events is a two-part process which involves external peer-review of assessment and calibration of academic standards. Meeting the Standard builds on the work of:
- Setting the Standard: Establishing Threshold Learning Outcomes (TLOs) for Tourism, Hospitality and Events Higher Education, which produced a set of nationally agreed upon and clearly articulated TLOs for tourism, hospitality and events higher education coursework programs at Australian Qualification Framework bachelor (level 7) and coursework masters (level 9)
- External Referencing of Standards (ERoS)
- Achievement matters: external peer review of accounting learning standards
Peer review of assessment
Peers who are acknowledged discipline experts, review and report on the assessment methods and grading of students’ achievement of learning outcomes with reference to the tourism, hospitality and events (TH&E) Learning and Teaching Academic Standards. This collaborative process provides evidence that assessments and grading standards are appropriate and broadly comparable with those assessment practices occurring in other similar programs elsewhere.
Calibration of Academic Standards
Calibration of Academic Standards (CAS) is a multistage intervention in which external peer reviewers examine an assessment task and samples of student work against one or more of the threshold learning standard domains before, during and after a calibration workshop. CAS workshops aim to:
- Reach a shared understanding of what it means to meet the minimum standard in a chosen domain
- Generate a shared understanding about assessments and outcome standards in comparable units being taught in different institutions
The project team is comprised of invited participants from CAUTHE Chapter member institutions, many of whom were involved with the original Setting the Standard project.
- Assoc Prof Pierre Benckendorff (The University of Queensland)
- Dr Paul Whitelaw (William Angliss Institute)
- Penny Jose (CAUTHE Secretariat)
- 2017 05 2017 Peer-Review of Assessment Pilot project report
- 2017 08 Calibrating Academic Standards (CAS1) report
- Detailed assessment examples of how educators can document students’ mastery of the agreed upon TLOs through various curriculum, pedagogy and assessment practices.
For more information or if you are interested in participating in Meeting the Standard for tourism, hospitality and events contact the CAUTHE Secretariat.