Meeting the standard for tourism, hospitality and events
The Meeting the standard for tourism, hospitality and events external referencing pilot project involves a collaborative process for external referencing of the tourism, hospitality and events (TH&E) academic achievement of standards. Peers who are acknowledged discipline experts, will review and report on the assessment methods and grading of students’ achievement of learning outcomes. The project seeks to provide evidence that assessments and grading standards are appropriate and broadly comparable with those assessment practices occurring in other similar courses elsewhere.
The project builds on the work of three key projects:
- Setting the Standard: Establishing Threshold Learning Outcomes (TLOs) for Tourism, Hospitality and Events Higher Education, which produced a set of nationally agreed upon and clearly articulated TLOs for tourism, hospitality and events higher education coursework programs at Australian Qualification Framework bachelor (level 7) and coursework masters (level 9)
- External Referencing of Standards (ERoS)
- Achievement matters: external peer review of accounting learning standards
In particular, this referencing process focuses on student achievement of the TH&E Learning and Teaching Academic Standards including unit learning outcome, assessment methods and Threshold Learning Outcomes. The project will conducted over a 12-month period commencing in September 2016 and will include a half-day face-to-face workshop prior to the CAUTHE 2017 conference. It is due to be completed for reporting at the 2017 CAUTHE mid-year meeting.
The project team is comprised of invited participants from CAUTHE Chapter member institutions, many of whom were involved with the original Setting the Standard project.
- Assoc Prof Pierre Benckendorff (The University of Queensland)
- Dr Paul Whitelaw (William Angliss Institute)
- Penny Jose (CAUTHE Secretariat)
- Dr David Beirman (University of Technology Sydney)
- Dr Naomi Dale (University of Canberra)
- Marcela Fan (William Angliss Institute)
- Assoc Prof Elspeth Frew & Paul Strickland (La Trobe University)
- Dr Laurie Murphy (James Cook University
- Dr Kelly Phelan (The University of Queensland)
- Esther Teo, Dr Deidre Giblin & Sally-Anne Leigh (Academies Australasia Polytechnic)
- Dr Mieke Witsel & Assoc Prof Erica Wilson (Southern Cross University)
For more information please feel free to contact the CAUTHE Secretariat.