CAUTHE 2016 – 26th CAUTHE conference
Theme: The Changing Landscape: The Impact of Emerging Markets and Destinations
Date: 8-11 February 2016
The Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School hosted the conference at the Wesley Conference Centre, Sydney, Australia. It was attended by around 272 delegates. A total of 166 papers were submitted, with 147 presented at the conference. This was comprised of 38 full research papers and 128 working papers. In addition, 9 papers were presented in poster format as visual presentations in the Research Sharing Session.
Three keynote speakers presented information on the theme of emerging markets:
- Tammy Marshall NSW Minister for Trade, Tourism, and Major Events
- Simon McGrath Chief Operating Officer for Accor Pacific
- Professor Susanne Becken, Professor of Sustainable Tourism at Griffith University and Director of the Griffith Institute for Tourism
It had been a long time since the conference had been held in Sydney and the organising committee felt it was important to treat delegates to events that would showcase the Sydney icons, the harbour bridge, the opera house, the harbour and the relaxed party atmosphere. The social program included a networking reception at the Cruise Bar at the overseas passenger terminal; the welcome reception at the STUDIO at Sydney Tower; and the conference gala dinner held on board the Blue Room floating on Sydney Harbour.
The sponsors of the conference were publishers Routledge, Goodfellows, Cengage and Channel View and eHotelier and Share Centre (powered by STR and STR Global).
- Conference Chair: Dr Scott Richardson
- Conference Organiser: Dr Madalyn Scerri
- Academic Paper Chair: Professor Brian King
- Bill Faulkner PhD, ECR & Mid-Career Workshop: Dr Rajka Presbury
- Ideas Factory / Poster Presentation Chair: Dr Zelko Livaic
- Sponsorship: Dr Rajka Presbury
- Student Volunteer Coordinator: Elena Maria De Velasco Ricaud & Rajka
- Conference Coordinator: Elena Maria De Velasco Ricaud
- Student Volunteers: Rebecca Murphy, Tony Lee, Mike Antigua, Alisha Amin, Pauline Villena, Tharini Wattegama, Harsh Sunil Ghgani
- Full papers: 2 October 2015 (extended to 16 October)
- Working papers: 30 October 2015 (extended to 6 November)
- Early bird registration: 30 November 2015 (extended to 18 December)
Theme: ‘Breaking through the Barriers’
Date: Monday 8 February
In total, 60 delegates attended the PHD/ECR workshop and11 delegates attended the MCA workshop.
The program included group discussions and activities, mentoring sessions and networking opportunities with fellow students and senior academics. Keynote presentations and panel discussions included:
- Session 1: Presentation by Assistant Professor Vincent Tung & Professor Margaret Deery on barriers experienced by PhDs and ECRs and some first steps in offering possible solutions to those barriers
- Session 2: Presentation by Professor Perry Hobson On the road to Publishing
- Session 3: Panel Professor Margaret Deery, Assistant Professor Vince Tung, Professor Perry Hobson and Associate Professor Deborah Edwards. Discussion topics:
- Understanding the System
- Understanding the supervisory relationship and experience
- Networking and dealing with isolation questions/discussions and Implications